Sunday August 10 at the Toronto Botancial Garden. Floral Hall
Open to members of all Orchid Societies.
- 9:30 am – 12:00 noon: AOS Judging. Bring your flowering plants for judging or come to watch the judging and learn how it is done. The judges are anxious to share.
- 12:00 noon- 1 pm: Pot luck lunch, please bring a dish to share. SOOS will provide the drinks.
- Canadian Orchid Congress silent auction of plants and orchid related items. Please bring your money and auction donations for display by 11:30 am. The auction will close at intermission between the talks. Proceeds go to the Canadian Orchid Congress to help societies with programming.
- 1 pm : Two talks by our guest speaker Mr. Roy Tokunaga of H&R Orchids in Hawaii
- ‘Introduction to Dendrobiums; Species and Culture’
- ‘Cattleya Species; Creating New Color Forms’
Roy has promised to include lots of culture tips in both talks, be sure not to miss
Roy Tokunaga of H&R Orchids in Hawaii will be our very special guest speaker.
SUMMERFEST PLANT PRE-ORDERS
Pre-plants from H&R for delivery at Summerfest.
Deadline for Orders:
Orders should be received at H&R by July 10
Aloha from Hawaii to Attendees of the SOOS August 2014 Summer Orchid Event.
Thank you for your gracious invitation for Roy Tokunaga to speak at your event.
Here is the special Orchid Price List, specifically intended for pre-orders to be delivered in August 2014. Please use this special Canada list because it differs a little from our web site listing. Some items have been omitted due to shipping constraints and difficulty preparing them for shipping. (Canada requires bare-rooting our plants. We have omitted some bulky plants or those with huge root balls that are difficult to bare-root). However, our listing is still quite extensive. Roy also will be bringing for sale some plants from our nursery, which are not pre-orders. These plants will be priced differently from our pre-order list.
For those of you who are not familiar with H&R Nurseries, we have a worldwide reputation for having many new and innovative orchid hybrids in various genera. We also stock many unusual, desirable and sometimes rare orchid species. Our growing conditions and more than 30 years of experience allow us to provide excellently grown plants.
IMPORTANT PROCEDURES FOR PRE-ORDERS.
Deadline for Orders: Orders should be received at H&R by July 10.
All preorders should be sent be sent to Terry Kennedy (NOT H&R) at [email protected] . She will consolidate the orders and send them on to H&R. In order to meet the H&R deadline Terry must have your order by July 8,
The information needed is:
- Please list the plants in the same order as on the price list
- List: Quantity of plants for each item; Code number for plant; Plant name as listed; Pot size; List price as noted on the price list.
- Payment: once the availability of the plants of your order is confirmed you will be notified of the total cost of your order. Preorders are in US $ and due before you pick up your plants. Terry will collect the moneys and then pay H&R for the entire preorder.
- Purchases at Summerfest may be made in Canadian $.
Plant of the Month - June 2014
Rosanna Li won the honors this month with her well-grown, nice dark clone of Dendrobium uniflorum. The name of this species comes from the fact that each inflorescence carries just a single flower. Under Rosanna’s care, each cane carried numerous single-flowered inflorescences. She summers the plant out-of-doors in 50% shade and winters it in a south-west facing window. She pots it in a mix of coconut chips, charcoal and Perlite and never lets it dry out completely, especially in summer. This means watering once a week in winter and often much more frequently in summer, all depending on rain, humidity and wind. The minimum temperature in the winter is 22C. In other words this is a warm-growing plant!! They rot easily if kept too cool. Since the last growth is much taller than the rest, I am sure Rosanna did not forget to fertilize the plant regularly!
2014 Membership on sale now at the membership desk.
Annual membership is $30 with the newsletter by email. Newsletter by Canada Post $15 extra unless you are a pre 2011 member in continuous good standing receiving the newsletter by Canada Post.
You can now join or renew your membership through this website (by PayPal). More info...
2014 meeting dates are as follows.
- August 10
- September 7
- October 5
- November 2
- December 7
Importing Orchids into Canada
This is a very complex and sometimes frustrating topic.
Marilyn H. S. Light, Chair,
Conservation Committee of the Canadian Orchid Congress
sheds some light in this excellent article.