Sunday 27 January 2019 at the Toronto Botanical Gardens in Floral Hall
- Sales start at 12:00 (not before)
- Meeting starts at 1:00
Susan Wedegaertner, President American Orchid Society. Susan is an avid Tolumnia grower, as well as an AOS Judge. She will, in fact, be speaking on Tolumnias.
- Monthly show table. Bring your flowering plants for show and tell and points towards our annual awards.
Annual Orchid Show February 9 and 10Click for More Information
Plant of the Month - November 2018
John Vermeer brought in a beautiful small growing
Cattleya What’ll It Be ‘Josee’ HCC/AOS with five perky
bright flowers on one inflorescence. The plant is named
in honour of John’s wife. John pointed out to us that
usually if the lip is flat so will be the petals, because
they echo the lip construction. When John had the plant
awarded it only had two flowers on one inflorescence.
The flowers were a combination of brick red, orange,
white and magenta! He summers it out of doors under a
shade cloth and winters it indoors under HIV lights. He
fertilizes all his plants with MSU fertilizer plus adds
slow-release fertilizer onto the well-draining medium in
the spring. He re-pots all his cattleyas before bringing
them indoors in the fall.
The show table also had a lovely Encyclia diota variety
atrorubra on it shown by Michael Wong. Its small light
and dark purple flowers are very charming. It is a plant
that is not easy to grow. Michael told us that he only
flowers it during hot summers. It is a high light plant
that takes Cattleya culture, that is, re-pot annually and
dry out between waterings.!
2019 Membership on sale now at the membership desk or ONLINE.
Annual membership is $30 with the newsletter by email. Newsletter by Canada Post $15 extra unless you are a pre 2011 member in continuous good standing receiving the newsletter by Canada Post.
Now is the time to get your 2019 SOOS memberships. The earlier you purchase or renew a membership, the more opportunities you will have to win the draw for a blooming orchid at the November, December and January meetings. You must be in attendance to win the orchid draw, so if your name is chosen and you are not in attendance, we will draw again until a winner is chosen. All names go back into the draw for the following month, so purchase your membership early to increase your odds of winning.
You can now join or renew your membership through this website (by PayPal). More info...
- February 9 and 10 - The SOOS Annual Show!
- March 3, Dave Sorokowsky, Paph Paradise
- April 7, Cultural Round tables
- May 5, Shawn Hillis, from Garden Slippers - Calgary Alberta
- June 2, Melissa McCormick, Smithsonian Environmental Research Centre, Washington, DC
- August 11 - OrchidFest, Alan Koch, Gold Country Orchids, Lincoln, California
- Sept 1, Glen Decker, Piping Rock Orchids, Galway, New York
- Oct 6, Dr. Kristen Uthus, New World Orchids, Manchester, Michigan
- Nov 3, George Hatfield, Hatfield Orchids, Oxnard, California
- Dec 1, Annual Fund Raiser Auction and Holiday Pot-luck luncheon.