Sunday, 2 September 2018 at the Toronto Botanical Gardens in Floral Hall
- Sales start at 12:00 (not before)
- Culture Snapshots start at 12:15
- Meeting starts at 1:00
- Speaker: Fred Clarke of Sunset Valley Orchids.
- Social Break
- Members' Plant Table
Plant of the Month - June 2018
Dendrobium chrysotoxum grown by Sherry Decyk She got the plant from Oak Hill Gardens so it is a very old plant. It has been reluctant to bloom since she divided it in 2015. This year it has really performed. She feels it might have been because of the cold it got during the ice storm and the wind storm a month ago. She grows the plant in bright light with her Vandas in the greenhouse using rainwater most of the year. It spends the summer outside where it gets morning sun. She fertilizes regularly while the plant is in growth. While the plant is outside it also gets slow release fertilizer. Sherry rests the plant in the greenhouse from October to when it starts to show buds, usually sometime in March or April. It gets no water except the occasional misting during this time. The showy flowers do not last very long. A few days at best. Congratulations Sherry.
Phalaenopsis Journal Second Quarter 28(2) 2018
SOOS members can browse the latest edition of the Phalaenopsis Journal magazine.
You can now access it instantly HERE.
If you are prompted to enter an access key to view the magazine use this: WptLCO
Special Guest Pre-Orders
Preordering information for the September 2 speaker is as follows:
Sunset Valley Orchids www.sunsetvalleyorchids.com September 2 meeting For pre-orders:
1. Order from the website as this is the most current listing. < [email protected]> directly mentioning that the order is for his SOOS visit September 2nd.
3. No further discounts as Fred is paying for shipping and documentation etc. so there are no added cost to the price of the plants.
4. At the meeting he prefers payment in US funds or you can use Paypal or Credit card if you would like to prepay.
5. He will start accepting orders for the Sept meeting on July 1st and the cut off date is August 20th
The October SOOS Meeting welcomes Jason Fischer of Orchids Limited in Minnesota
To preorder plants: Order from their website www.orchidweb.com
- For CITES Appendix I species, the deadline will be August 5 (Sunday); this will allow up to 8 weeks for Environment Canada to process the CITES import permit.
- For CITES Appendix II species & hybrids (and for hybrids of Appendix I plants), the deadline will be September 16.
- They need all orders in by that September 16th date so that inspection can be scheduled for the week of September 24.
- We will add a 15% handling fee to the orders; no minimum order required.
- Please select only those plants on the website that are designated 'CITES-approved' for export; and add a note in the Notes field that you are ordering for PICKUP at the SOOS Meeting.
2018 Membership on sale now at the membership desk.
Annual membership is $30 with the newsletter by email. Newsletter by Canada Post $15 extra unless you are a pre 2011 member in continuous good standing receiving the newsletter by Canada Post.
You can now join or renew your membership through this website (by PayPal). More info...
- July 8: Orchidfest, Robert Fuchs, R.F. Orchids (Florida)
- September 2: Fred Clarke, Sunset Valley Orchids (California)
- October 7: Jason Fischer, Orchids Limited (Minnesota)